7.27.2024

✟ 001 :: anime review :: gunslinger girl

★★ || Greetings everyone. This is my ANIME REVIEW of the anime, "GUNSLINGER GIRL". I had another blog before this, and I honestly believe that should be my lifestyle blog and this one can be my hobbyist one. I don't want to put all of my eggs into one basket, hm?

Anyways.. I can't exactly remember when I started the anime. I was watching it in one sitting but I fell asleep.. not because it was boring, but because I was not well-rested.

From what I can gather without spoiling too much, it's about a group of young girls that were recruited to be assassins. They are equipped and trained with guns. They all live together, with their unique appearances and personalities. 

The relationships between the girls and their trainers comforted me, and I feel like those relationships might've incidentally inspired a story that I'm working on. I think this anime comforts me in a way so deeply that not even I may have realized all the areas it does. 

I generally like all of the girl characters, but my favorite one is Triela. I feel like I can identify with her the most when it comes to appearances, and it's nice to see a tan character that isn't seen as a joke or for pure fetishization purposes.  I just learnt that her name means Princess, how sweet - and maybe fitting, hehe~☆. 

What she thought about in one of the episodes promoted me to also ponder. She wondered what is she to her trainer, and what does her trainer exactly want her to be, for him. That reminded me of my relationship with my father.... Growing up, I had no idea what my father wanted me to be except to be a child. He didn't try to mold me into really, anything.... & he didn't have enough patience to study with me, so I had to eventually learn on my own. He was aggressive and unforgiving, and always thought to discipline me for the slightest of "offenses". Childhood trauma aside, I hope Triela finds a definition soon. She's definitely a underrated character who deserved more love and merchandise - I would collect everything of hers, lol~.

Sometimes I get Claes and Angelica confused, but they're both two pretty characters.

Spoiler warning for Episodes 10 & 11 

Something that bothered me about Henrietta is that I don't like how she's placed on a shelf as like, the most adorable thing that the writers have ever seen. It's almost as if, why did they choose to write the other girls? What made me uncomfortable is that Henrietta likes to wave around the fact that her handler doesn't treat her coldly and doesn't mind treating her to nice things and even touching her, even in front of other "cyborgs" and in comparison. I hate it, but I know it's the writers' trying their best to illustrate naivety within the character. I'm angry because Elsa was a great character, too. Why do characters that tend to be strict and disciplined always get the short end of the stick? I wanted to cry when her handler described her as useless for just standing there. I suppose Elsa can resonate with her handler's cold nature. I felt a bit jealous because Henrietta's handler reminded me of someone I used to know. I wish that somehow, we could be affectionate or at least experience a physical touch within each other like how Henrietta gets her handler's assistance when she's trying to aim for the target. I know a lot of people would categorize "being jealous/envious of a fictional character" as a red flag, but I think it's rather healthy to experience the emotion, plus the character doesn't exist IRL, and even if she did, I would never hurt her. The gist of what I'm trying to say is this -- Elsa had a right to feel envious and defensive towards Henrietta during their first personal meeting. She had a right to feel as if they have no love, because their lives were saved by the agency and their handlers chose them individually. It perfectly makes sense.

The other thing that bothers me honestly is that Henrietta perfectly predicted how Elsa and her handler died. Is it weird I feel happy that Elsa had an escape from that stressful love epidemic? I guess karma was catching up to the handler for describing her as "useless" and being so tunnel-visioned on work only, forgetting that Elsa is just as human as him, even. They're working with real girls, so I feel grateful in a sense that Henrietta's "humanization" process during episode 11 was acknowledged. She said that they were trying to make her "more of a girl" by removing her weapons temporarily and having her cook a meal for everyone, with assistance from one of the female characters. It looks like she doesn't have a base or core definition of what it means to be a girl and herself anyways, I would just tell her that being herself is enough but it looks like these girls don't really have much of a gender identity besides the feminine clothes and accessories they are given. 

I hope this obsession with Henrietta being "the most cutest thing ever" will just melt away by the time I'm done with the first season. I thought she was harmless and I didn't let her get to me as a character, I was more so preoccupied on the other girls.

I guess the other reason I am interested in the show is the weaponry, but that's a controversial topic on itself. I think it is interesting, but I'm happy that in my childhood, I had a fixation on Splatoon and certain weapons within that game, not real life weapons. That was a more harmless and worrisome fixation.

I might show a friend of mine my Henrietta plushie so I can finally acknowledge my emotions about the man I really like. I guess I'll realize for sure if these feelings are inappropriate or not in a professional setting.


I felt really bad for Elsa when she couldn't complete her task, and she couldn't help but look at the other handlers. It seems that Henrietta and her handler have the most desirable relationship, but it would be strange to write, or lament on "how fortunate Henrietta is". 

- spoilers for episodes 10 & 11 end -

I think my favorite genre of anime and cartoons in general are 'cute girls doing badass things', like Alien 9 and the Powerpuff Girls. It's always been easy for me to identify with these characters, but now I'm maturing and moving onto the magical girl genre as I want to understand it in a Japanese cultural lens, because the American one is honestly abusing it's freedom to even have the rights to air such shows in the US in the first place. Not only that, but it's been practically abandoned since 4Kids. 

I think people need to give Angelica a chance and more of a break. For crying out loud, her parents tried to massacre her. Also, I'm unsure if the agency forces these girls to be killing machines or not. I have to re-watch the first episode.

I guess that's it for now.

Bye, nya-ow~!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Kanani